The Beginning of an Uphill Battle

I mentioned in my last post that I've always wanted to travel to London when I was younger. I remember watching so many British kid shows like Kipper the dog, Thomas and Friends, and Bob the Builder (although I didn't know these were British shows until I was an adult) and fell in love with their accents and any scenery of London I saw.

Flash forward to my high school years, I was just as obsessed with London as I had been when I was younger. This time, I was determined to make it over there! Though the name of the program has escaped my memory, I remember when I was a sophomore, there was a program through my high school where the theatre department would take students to London to study theatre. Although I wasn't in the theatre department, and didn't have an interest in such a field, I was interested in traveling to London.

However, this would be the first of many failed attempts in high school to go across the pond. When I brought the idea to my parents, they weren't upset or uninterested. They were happy and thought it would be a great experience, yet they couldn't afford the full cost of the program (which was over $1,000 at the time if I'm not mistaken). As my mother said, "the spirit is willing but the pocket is unable to make it happen." Basically, they didn't have the money. With myself and 4 other kids to take care of, in addition to living in New York City which is super expensive, there wasn't much they could do.

So, towards the halfway point of my senior year, I was still determined to go to London!! I applied to about 5-7 different school for undergrad, and I got conditional offers to all of them! I was so proud of myself that I was able to get offers to schools that weren't in the USA, and I still have those offer letters.

But, this would not come to be...As I did more research on expenses and the overall cost it would be to go to school for 4 years, it was something that was not going to happen. I begged and pleaded with my parents, and I even reached out to my cousins who lived in London, to try to help me in some way, shape, or form because I wanted to go to London so bad!!!

Despite these efforts, my family was not able to financial help me with tuition costs and living expenses. I was devastated because I felt like this was my last chance to go to London, and attend college there, and I had failed. Even I felt as if that was the end...my dream died and so did my ambition to travel. I applied to other schools here in the USA and got into one in Pennsylvania.

Little did I know, this was only the beginning on my journey to make my dream a reality...


Don't forget to follow me on Instagram, Twitter and TikTok: @jojos_cup_of_mocha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I got this Tattoo?

Want to go somewhere...But not sure where??

The Wait was Finally Over!